Deutsch | English

K+S Transport GmbH

Deutsch

History

A traditional storage and transloading business

In 1927 K+S Transport GmbH was established on the island of Wilhelmsburg on the river Elbe in Hamburg to create a modern storage and transloading facility that would meet the increasing transport demands of the time. Docks were rapidly built on behalf of the Prussian authorities and made available to the Potash Syndicate of Germany for 450,000 Reichsmarks a year. In 1928 a similar facility was added at Bremen, bringing a combined storage capacity of 190,000 metric tonnes of potash salt.

Up to the second world war 950,000 tonnes a year were transported. In 1947, after rapid rebuilding work to repair war-time damage, fertilizer export restarted and after just a few years reached pre-war quantities. In 1955 K+S Transport GmbH bought the Hamburg docks from the city authorities and in 1967 bought the Bremen site from the Potash Syndicate. At the beginning of the 1970s, the company separated itself from the Bremen site on strategic grounds.

Modern port and transport logistics

Over the years we have invested many millions of euros in the modernization of the docks, warehouses, conveyor machinery and transloading technology, to increase capacity and bring down operational costs.

In 1990, German Bulk Chartering GmbH was founded in Hamburg as a collaboration between Kali und Salz AG (as K+S was then known) and Berlin-based Kali-Bergbau Handelsgesellschaft mbH, for loading ships with cargo from the two companies. As part of Germany’s reunification process, Kali-Bergbau Handelsgesellschaft mbH was liquidized and its share in GBC was taken over by K+S Transport GmbH.

In 2000 UBT See- und Hafen-Spedition GmbH in Rostock was acquired. UBT provided customs clearance and port freight services in the ports of Wismar and Rostock. Clearance services provided by K+S Transport in Hamburg and Lübeck were then combined into UBT. In 2013 UBT was absorbed into K+S Transport.

Freight activities in in Hamburg und Bremen were sold off in 1992. In 2001, as a result of increasing containerization of sea transportation, primarily in south-east Asia, a container freight service was recreated. This development was followed by an increase in the use of intermodal container transport from inland areas to the ports of Hamburg and Bremerhaven. This was partly due to the development of the Baltic Train 8railway transports) in 2002, and investment in Börde Container Feeder GmbH (based in Haldensleben), in 2004, thereby involved in inland waterway transportation.

In 2010 the Werra Kombi Terminal in Philippsthal was completed, providing container transloading to and from rail for K+S products along with those of external clients. The terminal is operated via our 50%-share in Werra Kombi Terminal Betriebsgesellschaft mbH.

.